There is a lot happening.
Have a look at these activities. Each one is aimed at raising national awareness and interest in Foundation Skills. They provide ideas, models, resources and strategies to either get started or springboard from what currently happens in your context.
THESE NATIONAL FOUNDATION SKILLS STRATEGY PROJECTS MAY ASSIST YOU OR BE OF INTEREST
Research to identify professional practice in foundation skills (experience and qualifications)
- YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE your experiences as a practitioner now involved with foundation skills through the Stories from the Field project. An update (March 2015) explaining where the suite of related projects are up to can be accessed here.
- WHY? Your feedback will help to ‘scope the profession’ and inform the future qualification and experience requirements for those wanting to be be involved with foundation skills delivery.
Foundation Skills Community of Practice
- YOU CAN ASK ABOUT TRIALS UNDERWAY Each Champion (see below) has their own state-based project underway now.
- WHY? The strategy may be relevant or useful to your needs.
Foundation Skills Workplace Champions
- YOU CAN CONTACT A CHAMPION. Each State and Territory has a Foundation Skills Champion – people who have been involved with the Foundation Skills movement, with skills and expertise to share.
- WHY? They could have some valuable advice/tips/answers/information
- YOU CAN ALSO CONTACT A WORKPLACE CHAMPION. These champions provide examples of progressing Foundation Skills across a large number of employees using various approaches and strategies.
- WHY? You could see an approach worth considering in your context
Foundation Skills Workplace Champions Case Studies, have a look at these:
- The Power of REDARC
- LEND LEASE approach to increasing Foundation Skills of workers at Barangaroo (Sydney)
- OAK TASMANIA focuses on enriching the lives of employers with a disability
- VILLA MARIA installed new software which stimulated the approach to foundation skills
- UNITY WATER focus on technology skills
TELLING OTHERS ABOUT FOUNDATION SKILLS
If you want to introduce Foundation Skills to an Industry-based workplace or want to promote discussion about possible Foundation Skills, there are Facilitator resources available:
- Foundation Skills at Work (Industry Workshop) Facilitator’s Guide
- Foundation Skills at Work powerpoint
FSWD and FSWD RESOURCES
Last year (2014) a number of targeted Foundation Skills Workforce Development Projects were implemented. For example, one of these was professional development workshops to raise awareness of the attention to Foundation Skills. You may have attended one of the 52 workshops offered nationally.
Five Workforce Development Projects, managed by State and Territory governments, developed resources. Each is designed to assist professionals interested in progressing the foundation skills within their RTO or individual training and assessment approaches. There are models and tools. Relevancy depends on what you are looking for.
If you are interested in a framework/strategic approach to embedding or integrating foundations skills into your training then check out the South Australian Addressing Foundation Skills – 10 Step process and the associated Training Validation Tool (which promotes a close look at when, where, how, and by whom the identified foundation skills may be supported within the training and assessment delivery)
AND, there are FACEBOOK and TWITTER to follow ……….
- Twitter #FSTeach
YES, there is a lot happening.