This is the one we’ve been waiting for… a high-quality, FREE assessment tool that RTOs can use to test learners in ALL foundation skills – i.e. LLN and employability skills!
The Department of Education has finally released FSAT, which the team at the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER) has been working on for the past 2+ years. This is the foundation skills assessment tool we’ve been waiting for!
In this post we’ll:
- explain what the FSAT is
- describe 7 benefits of using FSAT
- explain exactly which core skills are assessed with FSAT, and how
- tell you how you can help get FSAT approved for use with VET FEE Help students, asap
- help you get started!
What is the Foundation Skills Assessment Tool (FSAT)?
The Foundation Skills Assessment Tool (FSAT) is an interactive online tool designed to identify and measure an individual’s foundation skill levels. This includes English language, literacy and numeracy skills as well as employability skills.
7 reasons to use FSAT
|1||Developed by ACSF and CSfW experts||All of the tasks and questions used in FSAT have been developed jointly by teams of external ACSF and CSFW experts, including authors of the two frameworks, working alongside ACER assessment experts.|
|2||ACSF and CSfW assessed||Language Literacy and Numeracy AND Employability skills|
|3||Assess 5 levels||ACSF 5 skill levels AND CSfW 5 skill levels|
|4||Computer adaptive assessment||Comprehensive branching structure to target the appropriate level of question difficulty
For details about the skills assessed on and off-line – see What skills are assessed and how?
|5||See the results immediately||Automatic and immediate scoring and report generation available for all online assessed core skills|
|6||Resources for the skills assessed offline||Offline components come with manuals, prompts and marking guides|
|7||IT’S FREE||That’s right, NO service fee!|
What skills are assessed, and how?
Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF) core skills assessed
|Automatically scored skills ACSF||Non-automatically scored assessments ACSF|
Core Skills for Work (CSfW) core skills assessed
|Please NOTE: Nine out of ten CSfW core skills are assessed automatically. During the testing stage it was found that Skill Area 3d Create and Innovate did not adapt well to automatic assessment so needs to be assessed off line.|
|Navigate the world of work||1a Manage career and work life
1b Work with roles rights and protocols
|Interact with others||2a Communicate for work
2b Connect and work with others
2c Recognise and utilise diverse perspectives
|Get the work done||3a Plan and organise
3b Make decisions
3c Identify and Solve Problems
3d Create and Innovate (See NOTE above)
3e Work in a digital world
Use FSAT to assess prospective, or existing learners across all adult education and vocational training, courses and levels. FSAT results can help you:
- provide targeted feedback to each prospective learner about the range of skills they hold (i.e. their strengths) and skills to develop
- guide and develop solutions, strategies, resources or advice so that prospective learners know what to do, and where to access the support
- prepare candidates for a VET FEE Help approved assessment.
How to get started using FSAT
- First, you will need to register your organisation with an FSAT account. For more information about registering, click here.
- Once you have your account up and running, you may give your clients access to FSAT.
|FSAT – general information||FSAT – Frequently asked questions|
See, also, other parts of our site:
- access the information on our Foundation Skills page
- or contact us via LLNandVETmeetingplace@gmail.com